Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Your Local Fire Station

We are lucky enough to have a firefighter in the family, so getting an up close and personal look into fire trucks is a pretty easy thing for The Boy to do. Just this weekend we took The Boy to visit the fire chief and he LOVED hanging out in the command center, with all the buttons and levers to push and pull. The Boy sat on my lap and steered the big wheel all the while, making siren noises. I tried to take a picture with a fire hat on him, but those hats are just too heavy for his little head.

I know most elementary schools head to their local fire station for a field trip every year, but the fire trucks are exciting for pre-schoolers too!

Have you tried calling the local fire department for a tour? Do fire stations do that sort of thing? I would imagine it would be easier in smaller towns, but what about major cities? Share your experiences with the rest of us.

3 comments:

Ed Leier said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

I think most fire services would be open to fiels trips by kids of all ages.

Our daycare would always take a tour of the local firestation, and my kids loved it! During winter the local fire dept sponsored a santa ride, where all the kids and santa rode in the back around town. The kids really enjoyed that, but were always asking santa where the reindeers were at...firefighters are one of the best folks out there in our communities!

Anonymous said...

I remember years ago when my daughter was in preschool the local fire department showed up for fire prevention. Well my daughter has been around fire trucks for a long time seeing I am a firefighter. This preschool was not in the city I worked in and the color of their trucks were yellow. My daughter told the firefighters with the yellow truck that fire trucks are supposed to be red. The firefighters asked her what her last name was and when she told them they started laughing. When I saw the firefighters a few weeks later they told me the story of how my daughter gave them a hard time about the color of fire trucks. In case your wondering that fire department that had yellow trucks now have changed to red--maybe based on my daughters comments.